Friday, July 16, 2010

Designer Profile - Liz Williams

Someone recently asked me at a party who my favorite designer is.  That truly is a difficult question to answer as there are so many talented designers out there.  I did say that I'm more partial to designers from the South.  Why?  While I admire many of the modern designs seen on East/West Coast, the Southern designers embrace the formal traditional designs (which as you should know by now rocks me to my core).

This leads me to my first ever Designer Profile!  I wanted to introduce to you the work of Liz Williams.  She is based in Atlanta and has had her eponymous firm since 1998.  Her designs have been recognized in multiple shelter magazines and she has participated in numerous decorator showcases.  She was also listed as one of the "20 Under 40 - The Next Wave of Local Talent" in the March 2007 issue of Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles. 


I love the soft mint green draperies she used.  See the contrasting bronze fabric at the bottom of the panel?  This is a great way to customize store bought draperies by sewing on a complementing fabric.  I like that etagere between the windows too.

She has a way with injecting a bit of casualness to an otherwise formal space by keeping the draperies simple and adding the plates on the wall.  Is that mirror awesome or is that mirror awesome?!

Adding a bedskirt softens the rigid look of a crib and hides all the storage space underneath.

Grouping a bunch of smaller size prints is much more affordable than a large size art.

Upholstered bed - my fave
Striped silk draperies - another fave

More silk draperies.  How luscious are these!!!  Attaching draperies at the very top of the wall ALWAYS looks good.  Designers have been adding these little pleated skirts to dining chairs.  Another great way to lessen the formalness of a room.
I like that Miz. Williams uses alot of muted greens, blues, and browns.  Her rooms are soothing to look at and seem so livable.  Makes you want to kick off your shoes and plop right down on her couch.

Well, have a great weekend!!!  It's going to be a hot one!

1 comment:

  1. Doing a Designer Profile is such a great idea! Looking forward to future profiles. This one was great! I am pretty unfamiliar with Southern designers and enjoyed the pictures and learning something new!

    ReplyDelete